Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Doreen
Contributor

Where do I turn for help Caring full time for my Mother who is 83 and suffers from Osteoarthritis and Stomach Cancer? I need Help - NOW...

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Where do I turn for help Caring full time for my Mother who is 83 and suffers from Osteoarthritis and Stomach Cancer? I need Help - NOW...

@Doreen

I have received help from Carer's Australia for my husband's mental illness and since his cancer diagnosis 8 weeks ago have contacted the Cancer Council for advice.

I will tag you in some discussion threads you may find helpful.

Re: Where do I turn for help Caring full time for my Mother who is 83 and suffers from Osteoarthritis and Stomach Cancer? I need Help - NOW...

Hi @Doreen ,

I live with an 87 year old and she has been assisted by Baptcare for quite a few years now. She lives in her own home and has various healthcare professionals visiting her 7 days a week looking after her illness (eg. daily diabetes test), delivering medication, visiting doctor, housekeeping, grocery shopping, massage or just someone to talk to, etc. She also wears an alarm necklace which she can press in the event of emergency. She can phone them anytime if she needs too. All service expenses covered by the government.

If your mom is still independent enough to live in her home, you may want to engage with such organisation. Otherwise, a nursing home will be an alternative option.

Best wishes!Smiley Happy

Lilaca thank you so much for your love and helpful advice.  I will follow up with the Government Services to learn what is on offer to assist me.  I had not considered that an area to look into.

Thank you again for your kindness and wise words. x

Hi @Doreen 

How are you getting along? Have you been able to access any assistance?

The hospital will have a social worker and a dietitian that might be able to help you too - you just need to ask.

Thank you to all those that gave me some help and ideas to follow up on.

My mum has now moved into a Nursing Home nearby which is a small relief.

I visit her every day to ensure she is being properly cared for.

Sadly my husband has been diagnosed with Bladder Cancer and just come out of hospital having had his bladder, prostate, lymph nodes and appendix removed and now has to deal with an ileostomy bag.

I try and support him as much as I can, but sometimes I just feel completely overwhelmed and just want to go away. I awoke this morning feeling so tired and useless and just not wanting to go on and face the day, or anything for that matter.

I feel so very much alone and hopeless, and terribly guilty for placing my mum in a Nursing Home and watching her get older and suffer through her problems.

I will join your Online Mental Health Support Meet-Up and hope to learn of some tactics to stay positive and cope.

Thank you for providing this Forum so we have somewhere to be understood and listened to, and hopefully to gain insight and help to manage.

Hi Doreen

As your mum has stomach cancer you might be able to get some help via pan support.

https://www.pancare.org.au/pansupport/

I have had a chat to one of the staff there in relation to my husband's pancreatic cancer diagnosis.

Thank you Darcy, I am following up x

My beautiful mum has passed away.

I should be in a better place now, and I suppose I am, but I miss her terribly.

Thank you for answering and showing how much you care.

Sadly mum has passed away now, and I miss her terribly.  Unfortunately, my husband has now been diagnosed with Terminal Bladder Cancer.  He has had his operation to remove his bladder, prostate, lymph nodes and appendix.  He sometimes copes well, but at other times wont tell me how he is feeling and just gets very cranky.

Has anyone got any suggestions to help make his life easier?

Thank you all.

Doreen x

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance