Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Gazza75
Senior Contributor

What essential oils bring you a sense of calming and comfort?

After my time in a mental care facility I decided to get one of the diffusers that changes colours and has a calming effect on the mind and is also meant to help you sleep more easily.  It makes a light bubbing noise as the oil is burnt as well.  The two oils I like the most so far are Eucalyptus and Tea tree as both reminds me of the outdoors.  The latter reminds me of the beach and surfing.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: What essential oils bring you a sense of calming and comfort?

Hi @Gazza75 

A diffuser that changes colour and has a gentle sound, sounds awesome. I've seen a couple of them around and love the calming feel I get from them. I used to live near a Dusk store and would often go in while I was out shopping just to stop for a moment a take some deep breaths. So peaceful!

I don't know much about essential oils but I like making our house smell lovely with different wax melts. I have one that smells like crisp fresh linen and another of my favourites is a beachy scent too.

Just though I would share a thread here about essential oils that you might like to have a read through and find some others who use them too.

@CheerBear- Thanks for sharing the link.  I should of checked before I posted.  There was some interesting information in the thread.  I used to be a beekerper and love the smell of beeswax candles so can relate to what you said as well 🙂

The diffusers aren't that expensive and if you get the oils from a chemist or warehouse they are quite reasonable.  I have a fairly big bottle of Eucalyptus oil that will last me years.  Much better to buy like that than the little ones where you can.  

Hey @Gazza75 This is a recent thing for me too. I love scents of all kinds. I have a few that I love. One I got from the chemist is a mix of many oils. I’ve been making little scent bags that I put with my clothes and sleepwear. It’s a calming thing when I get dressed. At the moment I am into lavender which I never would have expected as I used to detest lavender.  

Ive recently bought tea tree and eucalyptus oils for keeping my linen and towels smelling fresh. It is pretty cool. Going to tag @Sans911  here too as I know she loves oils too. 

@Teej- Your scent bags sounds cool to Me 🙂  I used to grow a lot of lavender and really enjoy the fragrance.  i'm glad you've come around to enjoying it!  That's a great idea about keeping your linnen and towels smelling fresh, i'm going to start doing that for sure. 

I'll probably start using oils more than I have as I hope to be weened of my meds sooner rather than later.  

Thanks @Teej. I do love my oils, and use them in a diffuser most of the time, but I also use them directly. I've recently begun teaching meditation, and use frankincense & lavender oil to help promote calm. I might get out my rosemary today to help me study. It's good for memory retention.

I had a lot of baggage about the ability to smell ... when I was a kid and teen and young mum ... wot to notice and what to ignore and what mattered and what did not ...

I was always being instructed by others .... how to inhale tobacco or other stuff ... or sneezing was right or wrong ...

it all became too much fitting in with others ...

Now I am old ... I have more time ... so I can inhale ...and it can very calming

mostly I like to notice smells that are not part of a product or cost money ... I tried essential oils when married etc ... I still have some ylang ylang from then ... it did not save marriage ... 

It helps me calm down the mind from all the CPTSD ... but I have to leave a lot of space between smelling ....am a weird old lady ... wear perfume a few times per year 

Beeswax is such a great smell @Gazza75! I don't think that comes in oil form, but you can get those beeswax wraps which have a strong scent. Have you ever tried some of those scent mixes or do you use the pure straight scent? 

@AppleblossomI like natural smells a lot to.  One of my favourites is frangipanni.  I always remember this one time I took some cuttings and one of them produced only flowers.  

I've hear ylang ylang mentioned a few times, but, I don't know that scent.  I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

You don't sounds weird to Me for what its worth.  I'm not that big on deodorant or aftershave.  The latter stings like buggery after you have a shave LOL 

Thanks for your feedback 🙂

@Ali11I've only tried straight oils so far.  I'm not sure, but, I think the beeswax wraps your refering to, might be foundation.  This is the stuff you stick in behives that the bee's build on.  I've seen candles made like that.  When I made candles I separated the wax from the honey, that was a tricky process and I don't think i got 100% of the honey out.  I did make some nice candles though.  A fancy way to make them and save on the wax is to stick ice cubes in your container or mold.  Beeswax is a great smell, the smell of an spring or summer apiary is even better 🙂  I miss my bee's LOL

Anyway, I digress.  Thanks for your thoughts and feedback 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance