Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

@Smc treated myself to the galanthus 😀. Council has fortnightly organic waste collection = yay.

Yay @Former-Member. 🙂

Meanwhile, I've been known to ask for other people's green waste. I've never yet had "too much" mulch/compost, and eagerly accept anything that will work as one or the other.

Then there's this garden, where the owner started a garden maintenance business specifically to get access to large amounts of lawn clippings and other "wastes" to build up his soil.

12565354_1172445402783207_4926108617056367882_n.jpg

Council has fortnightly organic waste collection --- cool @Former-Member Smiley Very Happy

hello @Smc , @Appleblossom , @Maggie , @Adge 

Hi @Shaz51 The Council Rates Bill arrived yesterday.

Not so cool...

Adge

Busy out in the garden today. Some prosaic stuff like weeding (and feeding it to the animals).

Cleared Jerusalem Artichokes out of a patch of not-great soil, some to replant elsewhere, some to eat. Put an old piece of corrugated over the spot to smother out the persistent weeds, and started stacking firewood on top of it. By the time that's seasoned and been used up, the persistent weeds should be history and that spot ripe for soil improvement.

Planted  a couple of caulis, columbines and Primula obuntica in one spot, and some out of date seeds in another. (Rose pink Nigella, wallflowers and Flanders Poppies. Planted thickly so if they germinate well I'll be busy transplanting... if they germinate poorly, at least something's there.)

Primula obconica. Bigger flowers and more of a colour range than standard garden primulas. looking forward to seing whar colours I get. :)Primula obconica. Bigger flowers and more of a colour range than standard garden primulas. looking forward to seing whar colours I get. 🙂

Have a lot of tidying up to do before I can contemplate plantings @Smc although I do need to attend to the plant divisions that I brought with us.

@Shaz51  there are a few pots with succulents here.

Why not? 😄

67702553_10157369214888665_3149241772874399744_n.jpg

Hee hee, that's a Good One @Smc

Adge

Former-Member
Not applicable

Windy with showers here too @Shaz51  but managed to fill the garden waste bin with prunings.  Neighbour is out, was hoping to see if I could fill her bin too ...

Awwww, I wish I was your neighbour @Former-Member. I'd take the lot off your hands. 😄

Below... from a few years ago. I filled up this "besser block bed" with well packed down garden wastes and topped it off with soil. Got a very good crop of beans off it a few months later.

Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 4.16.30 pm.pngScreen Shot 2019-08-10 at 4.16.30 pm.pngDSCN8703.JPGDSCN8742.JPGDSCN9005.JPG

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance