Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Parents Supporting Unwell Adult Children

Hi @Pearl146 and welcome to the forums.  

My daughter in-law has bipolar challenges, and it makes things an ongoing struggle for her and my son, but it is what it is, and we try to build stability and positive experiences into whatever we can, whenever we can.  It’s not easy though, and I often feel like this ....

8E2FF8B6-37D0-423B-82F1-ABDB438A1180.jpeg

.... particularly with what we have got going on under our own roof.

There is a section on the Caters Home page called Our Stories where you can start a thread around what is happening for you, if you want, and please tag me into it if you do.  I have one called Need a Shoulder, from when I first arrived here three years ago, which I add to occasionally.

Thank you, I have just had a thought that I might change my name to something less obvious. So I will start again and add  my story on the carers page as you suggest. 

I haven’t participated in a forum like this before. My child is technically adult - 19 - but lives at home. Because of her illness, she’s begun swearing at her dad & me, telling us we’re terrible parents and she hates us. I know it’s not really her speaking, it’s her illness. But it still hurts so much I’m lying here crying instead of sleeping.

I feel for you MamaBear1. I'm almost in the same situation although my daugher is a lot older than yours. It still hurts heaps though. Just keep reminding yourself that it's not her saying these thing, it's her illness. Look after yourself as much as you can too. 

hello @Kasey13 , @Faith-and-Hope , @Mamabear1 , @Pearl146 , @octavia , @Former-Member 

remember to put a @ in front of members name so they will recieve the email meassage from you

@Kasey13, what you said is very true , it is their illnes and they do not really mean what they say

i will tag you to a thread called " Careres hints and tips "

Thanks for that, I'll remember to tag.

Thanks for that @Shaz51 , I'll remember to tag.

means we can reply quicker @Kasey13 xx

how are you today

been thinking of you since your last message , it is hard my friend

I'm feeling a little bit better today thanks @Shaz51 . The support on this Forum is very helpful. I've also made an appointment to get some counselling and although I can't get in for a few weeks, it feels like I'm doing something at least.

I've also made an appointment to get some counselling-- way to go my friend @Kasey13 

I should do that too for me

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance