Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Everan
Senior Contributor

My experience on being triggered

I get triggered when i am not happy. I think it comes from losing my mental health 10 years ago. I hold on to everything trying to be happy all the time. I read the cause of triggers is when the inner world is not the outer world. I read that to deal with triggers, you need to accept responsibility for your reactions. The way to shift your emotions is relaxing, clearing your mind of all thoughts, be aware of your body and then focusing on a word that describes how you want to feel. I welcome any thoughts.

‘Face it accept it float with it and let time pass’

11 REPLIES 11

Re: My experience on being triggered

Hi @Everan ...

@Everan wrote:

The way to shift your emotions is relaxing, clearing your mind of all thoughts, be aware of your body and then focusing on a word that describes how you want to feel.

That's interesting, I hadn't heard that before. I'll have to try it, especially the bit about focussing on how you'd like to feel...

Thanks @NatureLover. Yes it could be about training your thoughts and giving it time to develop. There's an app called sanvello which has positive visualizations.

I hope the app and what you read about training and shifting your emotions helps with your triggers, @Everan .  It's difficult work, isn't it...but better than shoving emotions under the carpet I think. 

I think so, honouring your emotions as you have them and also logic @NatureLover 🙂

Yes, for sure @Everan , it's important to be in tune with our emotions. 

When you say logic, what do you mean exactly?

It is something i heard from a mindful kind podcast @NatureLover which probably refers to being rational and following wisdom maybe haha

Ah, thanks... maybe to do with the wise mind? That rings a bell, anyway 🙂 

@Everan 

Hi @Everan,

@Everan wrote:

The way to shift your emotions is relaxing, clearing your mind of all thoughts, be aware of your body and then focusing on a word that describes how you want to feel. I welcome any thoughts.

Just to share my experience. Back when I was still healthy, what you said couldn't have been more true. I used to practice meditation each night.

Then I got quite ill and would usually have fits/seizures in my most relaxed state - just when I was about to fall asleep into the dreaming state. Suddenly all these generic talks about meditation and mindfulness no longer work for me. I couldn't sit still in meditation as my body would jerk uncontrollably and it would happen during breathing exercises as well. What works for me is physical/vigorous movements such as running or other forms of exercise. I need to be physically active more often and the jerkings will not be felt as much. It needs to be in moderation too as otherwise excess will cause a relapse.

It's quite a wierd occurance so I just want to put it out there as I am sure there are others who are different too. Smiley Happy

@Lilaca wrote:

Then I got quite ill and would usually have fits/seizures in my most relaxed state - just when I was about to fall asleep into the dreaming state. Suddenly all these generic talks about meditation and mindfulness no longer work for me. I couldn't sit still in meditation as my body would jerk uncontrollably and it would happen during breathing exercises as well. What works for me is physical/vigorous movements such as running or other forms of exercise. I need to be physically active more often and the jerkings will not be felt as much. It needs to be in moderation too as otherwise excess will cause a relapse.

Oh gosh, that sounds really difficult to have to deal with, @Lilaca  😮

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance