Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking after ourselves

EssJay
Casual Contributor

Is my care receiver being abusive?

Hi everyone. Thank you for creating this forum. I am a new member to the forum and I am also very new to the live-in-carer role. I am really struggling with this man who I provide care to. I will call him George. I have known George for less than a year as my neighbour. I spent months caring for him in a limited neighbourly capacity and, at his request, I moved in and became his live in carer in September this year. His home was borderline squalid but I have cleaned it up and made it quite homely, comfortable and healthy. 

George is in his late 60s. He was obviously once a strong well built man but he is now rather frail. He has (among other things) COPD and type 1 diabetes. He also had a very bad MV accident 4 years ago and the totality of his injuries has yet to be fully determined. He suffers chronic pain to his back, neck, shoulders, and legs, but refuses to use a walking frame or even a walking stick. Also, his GP is currently investigating a possible ABI as a result of this MV accident. George's short term memory is best described as sporadic.

I guess my main problem is that I have failed to set my boundaries with him. I dontt know how to overcome this. It's not through lack of trying though. I now feel that he has no respect for my needs, feelings or opinion whatsoever. If we disagree on a topic he tells me he doesnt care how I feel; or "its not bothering me(George) so i dont care if it bothers anyone else; or "Well it's my house and that's the way I want it if you dont like it pack your s&@t and F&@? off." 

I'm starting to feel like I'm nothing but a servant to him. He does not assist with any cooking or cleaning. I dont mind doing the cleaning, but before i moved in he was cooking his own meals every day. Now, if I dont cook for him or if I dont jump to attention when he says he is hungry, he will make a passive aggressive comment and fix himself a piece of toast or something simple. He has never ever thanked me for cooking his meals, nor has he thanked me for anything that I do for him, for that matter. I change his linen and he will just say "Didnt need changing". He has even said to me "I dont need to thank you, you're getting paid for it." I feel very disrespected that he leaves excrement on the toilet seat, which happens several times per week, and does not clean it off. Not in the bowl, I mean the actual seat that I have to sit on as well as guests when they pop over. I have made it extremely clear to him how I feel about that, yet he denies it is him and continhes to do it. His disabilities do not affect his ability to wipe up his own mess. He is quite happy to live in squalor and since I moved in here, he has become lazier and lazier. I feel like he is beginning to resent having a clean table to eat off or that I sweep the floors 3 or 4 times a day (we live almost beachfront and slso have a dog so the floors get really grubby)

Tonight George and I had a disagreement over the back door. We live in a very hot humid climate, I had just finished washing up so I was sweating, and when I finished I sat downon the lounge. George got up and switched off the fan and then closed and locked the back wooden door, even though the security door was already locked. I asked him to leave it open to let the air flow through. He said no he wants it locked from now on. I told him I'm hot George and I got up and opened it. He said "rubbish its not hot" and closed it again. When I asked him why he just said "because its my house and thats how its gonna be". Anyway, to cut a long story short, things escallated to the poont where he yelling at me within an inch of my face, then grabbed me and tried to push me aside to close the door. I did not touch him and  I did not move away. His nephew was here and intervened by jumping between us saying "Dont you touch her! Dont you ever touch a woman George". There was a lot of shouting then between George and his nephew, and I thought it almost turned into a fist fight between them but instead, George sat down and called the police. Police attended and the nephew and I explained what had happened but George was still angry and told them to get us out. Police told him they would not intervene. 

My biggest problem is, he probably wont even remember any of this tomorrow. Sometimes I feel like he feigns his memory loss to save face or get his own way...

i dont even know how to approach the boundary setting subject. George isnt an kid or adolescent he is very stubbornly set in his ways because "thats the way ive always done it". I feel he wohld shoot me down and discard it as Rubbish if i were to bring up the topic. I cannot even begin to think of any consequence that he would even care about. 

PS: i gave up my own unit to move in and provide care for George and I pay half the rent, utilities and food. Now I am in a bit of a bind, given the current rental crisis in quesnsland, I have buckleys chance of finding accommodation if I were to leave. He really does need someone to help him with his everyday living and I really do want to make this work. I have come to genuinely care about this person even though he can turn nadty and has a temper. He also does have a caring and benevolent side to him too. I dont know where to go for support, we are in a remote area and services here are nil. Any suggestions or help pr even just someone to talk to would be greatly appreciatd. Thank you

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Is my care receiver being abusive?

Hi @EssJay 
Welcome to the forums!, itโ€™s really great to have you join the community here.

I can hear that this is one tricky situation. One that has multiple complexities within it. Sounds like what you had intended as providing the support to George has become something that is now impacting your own wellbeing and life in negative ways.

I am just curious, do you have much of your own support around you outside of the forums? Smiley Happy

I have just tagged some members who if they are able to, might be able to give some support around this for you.
@Shaz51 @Determined @Anastasia @outlander Heart

If you havenโ€™t seen it already, there is also a section called Useful resources in the topics you can find hereโ€ฆ
https://saneforums.org/t5/Useful-resources/bd-p/forum-004

There may be some information in there that may be of use in some way?

Hope you can connect with more members of the community here on the forums. 
@flybluebird Smiley Happy

Hi @flybluebird thank you so much for your response

to answer your query about my own support networks: No i feel very alone in this. I have no family close by only 2 brothers who live over 1000 kms away. We live in a very small community of pop. 2800 so i feel it is probably inappropriate to speak to friends and other people within our community without identifying him. This post, the resources u have guided me to, and some other online resources, have been all i have. 

I have weekly Facetime sessions with avpsychologist who is based in Melbourne, but these sessions have been provided to me via a mental health plan designed for my own issues of PTSD as i had a rather violent crime committed agsinst me some 7 years ago. I also have the same GP as George. I'm unsure about what i can and cannot disclose to these health professionals.

I have been in this situation myself. 

Being invited to become a caregiver and thus receive the Carer's Allowance, in the minds

of some people, is the "New Marriage" and as you have no family close by, you were vulnerable to

being approached by this person, who was once a neighbour, who had plenty of time to groom you to accept a live-in situation.

Start working on your exit plan.  Get in touch with crisis agencies. The threats of eviction, when you have nowhere to go or any one to turn to is coercive control.  You need to tell the GP how George is treating you.  You are not required to suffer in silence or to cover up for George and not disclose to your primary physician how your health is being impacted.

Some serious stuff goes down behind closed doors in small communities.  Break the cycle, EssJay. Your loyalty is to your own life and your own wellbeing and future.

Iโ€™m sorry to hear of your PTSD @EssJay , but itโ€™s great that youโ€™re receiving support around that specifically outside of what is going on with the caring role.

Being in such a small community like that, I can imagine that it makes it very isolating and an extra difficult layer - adding to knowing who to reach out to & be able to discuss your experience with.

I wish I had the answers. Heart

I hope you donโ€™t mind me sharing but these are also some additional places that might help regarding your experience as a carer & seeking specific information around your rights, ethical standards etc.

Carers Australia:
https://www.carersaustralia.com.au/

We also have our own support services here at SANE if you ever wanted to give that a go?
That is aside from the forumโ€™s community ๐Ÿ™‚
@flybluebird 

Hello @EssJay Sending you lots of tender hugs my friend 

I became my mum's carer  last year and the same things has been happening over time just making me more upset and stressed 

We live in a small country town too

I am loosening the carers reins , which feels very strange 

I get "meals on wheels " now for mum 

And there is respite in my town but my mum does not want to go 

Do you have a party of the house that is your part 

I am still learning to be here for mum yet still have boundaries 

How are you going tonight 

@flybluebird ,

Hello @Jo-anneJoy ๐Ÿ˜€โค

Thank you @Shaz51 and big hugs back I am feeling better tonight, although George has not spoken a word to me all day.

Thank you too @flybluebird  and @Jo-anneJoy  for your replies. I think just being able to share has alleviated so much anxiety and cleared my mind. I have followed @Jo-anneJoy 's advice today and putting that exit plan in place

tthanks everyone

Hugs @EssJay , we are here for you now , and here to support you 

I can tag you to other thread on  here for you xxx 

Yes please @Shaz51 xx

Hello @Shaz51 @flybluebird @Jo-anneJoy  and to all who supported and replied to my OP

I actually called Centrelink and spoke to a social worker about this matter. The social worker has confirmed this is a form of "domestic abuse" and has made a record of the matter. 

I then told George know who was really taken aback and feels rather ashamed at the "domestic abuse" label. I let him know that this behaviour will no longer be tolerated and that he may have difficulty with centelink approving other carers in the future if he kerps treating his carers badly. 

We now have some clear boundaries set and can hopefully move on from this.

Thank you all once again for all your advice and support ๐Ÿ˜Š

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance