Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Busy_MumofTwo
New Contributor

How to explain that Daddy is unwell

Hi all,

My partner is diagnosed with Bipolar I, ADHD, and panic disorder. We've also had some doctors mention schizophrenia but have not had that documented officially.

Id love to know what/how do you explain to your young kids about their parents behaviours/state?

My partner for example when manic leaves the house for anywhere between 24hours to a week. And then when on a low spends 3 days to a week in bed (his condition is not managed well/he is not stable atm)

Our oldest is 6 and she is now asking questions about her dads behaviour and time away. He has always told her he is going away to work but I feel she knows it’s something more from his behaviour before he leaves and again when he returns.

I was thinking of now trying to explain to her in the best way I could to a 6 year old, that daddy’s brain is sick.

Anyone have any tips or experience with a similar situation?

Thanks Smiley Happy 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How to explain that Daddy is unwell

Hi @Busy_MumofTwo 

I just wanted to reach out and offer you some support Smiley Happy

Unfortunately I can't share any personal experiences around this, but I wondered if you may be interested in a website called Children Of Parents With A Mental Illness.

They provide a variety of information and resources to support parents to start these conversations with their little ones. Their website is: www.copmi.net.org

Sorry, I'm not great with technology and so I don't know how to highlight their website as a link, but I hope this helps Smiley Happy   

Take care ...

ShiningStar

Re: How to explain that Daddy is unwell

@ShiningStar 

Thank you so much I will check out the website today! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance