Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Decluttering and home maintenance

Have been out for the past hour or so tackling a bit more of the inconveniently-placed 2x1.5m back shed... whew!

One bagful of rubbish in the bin. A few more recyclable soft plastics added to this morning's accumulation. Some more paper rubbish soaking for the worms. Two and a half bags of cured cement moved to where I want to build up a low bank... if I decide they're not staying there, at least they're neatly placed until then. Items worth either keeping or passing on put aside on shelves in the shed.

What's still in there to sort is mostly timber scraps and "contaminated soil". Rats moved into the shed at some stage, judging by the large number of nibbled-out plum stones and droppings. They also threw up a considerable pile of soil in the process of nest making. All of it would have been soaked in flood water... none of those parts worry me. All of that just breaks down again. The bits that bother me are the plastic scraps and unknown garden chemicals that are mixed into it too.

I'll probably pick out the worst of the plastic and spread the rest around somewhere that it won't matter too much (around ornamentals, not veggies...). So I'm nearly there...

I'm itching to get started on my long delayed project of building a "studio-shed". Currently there's a second 2x1.5m shed full of building materials and a disused chookyard in the place where I want to put it. So the plan is:

1- Empty shed #1 and move it to a nearby but more useful spot. Put a proper concrete base down underneath it. (Maybe using the old cured cement as aggregate underneath it?)

2- Move contents of shed #2 into relocated shed #1 (or other suitable location), discarding or passing on any we don't want.

3- Relocate shed #2 to a spot about 2m away from shed #1, so that I can turn the area between them into undercover firewood storage.

4- Clear away old chookpen fencing and other accumulata from studio-shed site... and start building...

I'm not counting on this being a quick process. Step 1 is starting to look achievable though, and that's encouraging.

hello @Former-Member , @Smc , @Determined , @Sophie1 , @Radleritis , @Sally 

trying hard to get into Decluttering of the veranda cupboards but finding it hard to get there

On a rock and roll there @Smc, it is so very rewarding when possibilities seem within our reach. No pressure, we all know how hard it is to remain persistent, cheering you on.

cactus cheer.gif

@Shaz51 it is hard, even dealing with one thing is a step forward. 

@Determined hoping roof job done ok.

very true @Former-Member , have to keep reminding myself of it

so i have taken things to the op shopSmiley Happy

Stuff taken to op shop = 'onya @Shaz51  

@Former-Member, I've now moved the bits of timber and a few last oddments to the small "worth keeping" area. I've sifted most of the dirt down to minimal-plastic-contamination level and put it on a nearby bed of unkillable perennials. Taking a brief breather before tackling the last of the dirt.

There were a few tins of paint among the bits and rubbish... found out that a couple were still liquid when they leaked on me. I've now got green fingers in completely the wrong way... ewww. 😛

@Smc  🙌

Lol @Smc 

That is about the only way I could have green fingers 😂

Checked out the final roof trims when we got home tonight. All looks good finally 

Next step is insurance sending out an independent qa inspector. Something they are doing as the job has been such a drama. 

Still waiting on solar. 

Finished off scraping and sweeping up the last of the shed floor detritus. Hubby came home just as I was finishing up. He wasn't as impressed as I expected... turns out he hadn't really looked inside the shed, so didn't know what it was like "before". (We've only been living here 19 years...) Should have taken a photo before starting to show him. 😛

So it's now down to the bits and pieces that are probably worth keeping or passing on. The paint, some garden tools, terracotta pots, some timber and glass and a few other odds. I think I could find other storage spots for those while I work on relocating the shed. 🙂 But that's for another day, as yet unspecified.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance